Before a lifeboat station was established at Peterhead eight Silver Medals were awarded for gallantry for rescues off the coast.
1865 The RNLI established a lifeboat station and a boathouse was built on the east side of North Harbour.
1900 A larger boathouse was built.
1908 The slipway was removed and the lifeboat was kept afloat on moorings in the harbour.
1911 A second boathouse and roller slipway were built to the west of the South Harbour for the No.2 lifeboat.
1912 The station's first motor lifeboat was placed on service.
1914 The No.2 lifeboat was totally wrecked during a service to the minelayer Tom Tit. Second Coxswain James Geddes and Crewmembers Thomas Geddes and David Strachan drowned. Click here for details.
1916 A Silver Medal was awarded to Coxswain James Cameron for rescuing 74 people from the wrecked steamship Kiev.
1917 A Bronze Medal was awarded to Coxswain James Cameron for rescuing 41 people from the wrecked steamships Tregarth and Boscastle.
1928 The No.1 Station was Closed.
1933 A Silver Medal was awarded to Coxswain John Strachan and Bronze Medal to Motor Mechanic David Wiseman for rescuing nine men from the trawler Struan grounded at Scotstown Head.
1940 Over the space of nine and a half hours the crew of the Julia Park Barry of Glasgow rescued over 90 survivors from 4 boats in trouble off the north east coast of Scotland. Click here for details.
1942 A Gold Medal was awarded to Coxswain John B McLean, Silver Medal to Mechanic David Wiseman and Bronze Medals to Alexander Hepburn, William Strachan, Alexander Strachan, William Summers, Alexander Gowans and George Cordiner for rescues to three ships aground in Peterhead Bay. Over 75 Hours they rescued 44 crew from the steamer Runswick, 26 crew from the steamer Fidra and 36 crew from the steamer Saltwick. Click here for details.
1943 A Bronze medal was awarded to Acting Coxswain Captain James Winter for rescuing 12 crew from the wrecked trawler Loch Wasdale just before she sank.
1965 A Centenary Vellum was awarded to the station.
1979 The thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum was awarded to Coxswain/Mechanic John Buchan for rescuing the Seven crew from the oil rig supply vessel Smit Lloyd 47, which went aground on the west shore of Peterhead Harbour.
1980 The boathouse was extended.
1987 The thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum was awarded to Coxswain/Mechanic John B McLean for standing by the fishing vessel Constant Star while the crew of eight were rescued by helicopter in a northerly gale and heavy seas.
1988 The new Tyne class lifeboat Babs and Agnes Robertson was placed on service.
1998 The lifeboat was placed in a new berth to the west of the South Harbour.
1999 The new berth and shore facility were completed in May.
2005 Crew member Stephen Ritchie was awarded a Testimonial on Vellum from the Royal Humane Society for diving into the harbour and rescuing one man after two fishermen fell into the harbour while returning to their trawler in January. Read the full story here.
2005 The RNLI announced that Peterhead would become the first Scottish station to receive a new Tamar Class lifeboat.
2006 Tamar Class Lifeboat 16-03 Misses Robertson of Kintail arrives on station at Peterhead to replace the current Tyne Class Lifeboat 47-019 Babs and Agnes Robertson
Over the last 144 years, Peterhead Lifeboat Station has been awarded the following:
2 Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum
1 Gold Medal
11 Silver Medals
9 Bronze Medals